*Raises hand* Hi, my name is Cheyenne and I am a foundation junkie. BUT COME ON, WHO’S NOT?!? If you can remain faithful to one foundation, then I applaud you. Gold star, yadda yadda, moving on to a foundation review now. Today’s review is for the BECCA Ultimate Coverage Complexion Crème. It’s name is a wee bit of a mouthful but this foundation doesn’t disappoint. (If you don’t want to read, simply skip down to the bottom where I’ve clearly outlined the pros and cons).
What it is:
A full-coverage yet breathable liquid foundation enriched with high concentrations of pigment and water.
What it does:
Conceal imperfections, redness, hyperpigmentation, and uneven texture with this weightless liquid foundation. Ideal for any skin type, it is formulated with a balance of 21 percent pure pigment and 22 percent water, which work in synergy to completely soften the appearance of blemishes and uneven texture.
What it is formulated WITHOUT:
I was on the hunt for a full coverage foundation that would suit my washed out winter skin. I made the drive from the boonies into the beautiful city of Vancouver because they are the only damn Sephora near me that actually carried BECCA products. I am not a take a chance and order it from just looking at the picture kind of girl.I was eyeing up the shade Shell but asked a lady at the store to colour match me, since I like to get another opinion other than my own. Unfortunately for me she kept trying to match me to the darker shades, so I politely thanked her for her help, grabbed Shell and marched to the counter to purchase it.
It comes in a tall, rubberized chocolate brown container that looks quite smart with a silver lid on it. This foundation does come with a pump which is a major plus in my books. the shade I picked, Shell, is described as a fair beige with neutral undertones which is very true. I couldn’t pick up any obvious undertones with it which I absolutely loved. With the first pump, I noticed that it’s an extremely thick formula and that the pump does dispense quite a bit. One pump of this is really all that you’ll need to be honest. This foundation boasts an impressive 21% pure pigment, which means you get tons of coverage with very little product. I’ve tried applying this foundation with a beauty blender and a brush (Sigma F80) and found that it was much easier to blend with the brush. I recommend applying it in sections to your face and blending it right away because it does set rather quickly. It is a buildable foundation as long as you work quickly. The one thing I dislike about it, is that after it sets there’s no going back. I found that trying to add more after it was set or blending out the product caked in my smile lines resulted in the product disappearing and leaving the coverage patchy in that spot. I would recommend contouring or blush after applying it since the full coverage effect can make the skin appear a little flat. If you’re worried about this foundation feeling heavy on the skin, don’t be. It’s very lightweight considering it’s such a full coverage foundation.
This foundation sets to a matte finish. If you have dry skin, I would pass on this foundation since it does tend to cling to dry spots. As someone with combo skin, I found it controlled my oily spots extremely well. This foundation also wears beautifully throughout the day, I can get a through an eight hour shift running around, sweating it out at the gym, and still look damn good afterwards. I tend to be very prone to my foundation creasing in my smile lines since I’m smiling 24/7 and am very exaggerated with my facial expressions so unless this is you I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I also have an extremely oily nose and found that this foundation made that concern nonexistent. It’s not quite transfer resistant though, if I took my shirt off or kissed my boyfriend then I noticed it did transfer to them. An oil based make-up remover would be the easiest way to remove this foundation since it STICKS to your face.
- Shade selection, there are twenty shades to choose from. There’s also a mixture of undertones within this range making it easier than ever to find the correct shade for you.
- Full coverage, it will honestly cover every blemish, freckle, etc. with no problem.
- Light weight, even though I wear a lot of makeup I like to feel like I’m not wearing a lot.
- Matte finish and oil controlling, as a combo skinned girl this is what I look for since I’m paranoid about looking shiny.
- Staying power, this bad boy can easily last ten hours without breaking down
- Doesn’t oxidize, I like to look the same colour throughout the day as I did when I put it on.
- Price, this foundation retails at Sephora for $53.00 (Canadian) for 1.01oz which is a little steeper than I prefer.
- Not transfer resistant, if you put your face on things it will transfer, it won’t disappear off your face but you’ll see the mark you leave on your pillow or significant others shirt, etc.
- Settles into my smile lines, every foundation I own does this but some can make it longer than others before they crease, this one lasts about four before it settles in there.
- Thick consistency, can make it a little harder to work with depending on how or what you use to apply it.
- Sets FAST, you better be prepared to blend this baby in immediately.